- Standardizes display control commands
- Reduces time to market and design cost
- Communicates any resolution to support a broad range of display types
Agnostic to PHY
- Used with MIPI Display Serial Interface 2 (DSI-2)
- Specifies a range of display control functions and defines method for supplying data to displays
- Supports Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA®) Display Stream Compression (DSC) and Display Compression-M (VDC-M)
- Supports MIPI DSE for automotive displays
Video game devices
Virtual or augmented reality head-mounted devices
MIPI Display Command Set (MIPI DCSSM) v1.5 provides a standardized command set for control functions and supply of data to displays using MIPI Display Serial Interface 2 (DSI-2SM). It defines commands for all setup, control and test functions, including the control of settings such as resolution, width and brightness. DCS v1.5 supports the Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA®) Display Stream Compression (DSC) and VESA Display Compression-M (VDC-M) standards. Optional features support MIPI Display Service Extensions (DSE) v1.0 for automotive functional safety and High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP).
New features added in MIPI DCS v1.5 include:
- Support for optional adaptive refresh, allowing a peripheral to retain an image for an extended time, substantially reducing power consumption in a display panel
- Support for greater pixel depth and YCbCr 4:2:2 formats
- Additional commands for seamless, lossless transitions from video mode (active streaming) to command mode (static display), improving display efficiency, power consumption, reliability and user experience
- Optional features for automotive functional safety and HDCP through MIPI DSE v1.0
- Support for codec upgrades to the latest versions of VESA DSC and VDC-M
Implementing the DCS specification reduces the time-to-market and design cost of mobile devices and other products by simplifying the interconnection of products from different manufacturers. It also simplifies the addition of new product features, such as larger or additional displays, due to the extensible nature of MIPI specifications.
MIPI DCS is developed by the MIPI Alliance Display Working Group.
Note: The specification is available only to MIPI Alliance members. For information about MIPI Alliance membership, visit Join MIPI.