MIPI Alliance’s second virtual member meeting of 2020 launched today with a special session to update participants on Alliance initiatives, technical milestones, marketing activities and strategic priorities, as well as to recognize MIPI members receiving 2019 Membership Awards.
Throughout June, a dozen MIPI working groups and the board of directors will continue momentum by collaborating via extended teleconference sessions. Following the conclusion of the meetings, highlights and updated timelines from each group will be shared with all members, along with an updated Specification Roadmap.
State of the Alliance
The virtual State of the Alliance session, similar to the traditional Opening Plenary held at every member meeting, featured a membership update and overview of key activities from Joel Huloux, MIPI chairman, along with presentations on the 2020-2021 strategic priorities, by Peter Lefkin, MIPI managing director; and the latest activities within the Technical and Marketing steering groups, by TSG chair James Goel and MSG chair Kevin Yee.
The State of the Alliance portion of the session also included recognition of working group participants who contributed to the development of specifications adopted since the last member meeting:
- Ken Foust, I3C Working Group chair, and vice chairs Satwant Singh and Tim McKee, accepted the specification award on behalf of the working group for the adoption of MIPI I3C® v 1.1 in December 2019.
- RFFE Working Group chair Jim Ross and vice chairs Lalan Mishra and Victor Wilkerson accepted the specification award on behalf of the working group for the adoption of RFFE v3.0 in April 2020.
7th Annual Membership Awards Ceremony
The highlight of the session was a ceremony honoring the recipients of MIPI Alliance Membership Awards for their outstanding contributions and leadership within the Alliance. For the 2019 awards, six members were recognized in the Lifetime Achievement, Distinguished Service, Working Group Leadership and Corporate categories:
- Roy Chestnut of Teledyne LeCroy received the Lifetime Achievement Award for his years of service to MIPI DevCon, as well as his instrumental role in providing developer resources and promoting MIPI’s overall value to the industries it serves.
- Tom Kopet of ON Semiconductor also received the Lifetime Achievement Award in recognition of his dedication to the MIPI Camera Working Group and his invaluable contributions to the MIPI CSI-2 specification.
- Eyuel Zewdu Teferi of STMicroelectronics was honored with a Distinguished Service Award for multiple contributions to advance the development and adoption of the MIPI I3C and I3C Basic specifications, and for his efforts to support collateral MIPI activities.
- Enrico Carrieri of Intel Corporation was recognized with a Working Group Leadership Award for his broad technical knowledge and strong leadership of the Debug Working Group, which ensured collaboration across MIPI working groups to develop closely interdependent specifications in parallel.
- Haran Thanigasalam of Intel Corporation also received a Working Group Leadership Award for his work as chair of the MIPI Camera Working Group, where he played a lead role in delivering a robust camera and imaging interface roadmap, and advancing and extending the adoption of MIPI CSI-2 for multiple product platforms.
- Samsung Electronics, Co. was recognized with the Corporate Award for its leadership on the board and in working groups, its key efforts to help advance the adoption and enablement of MIPI specifications, and its significant contributions to MIPI CSI-2, C-PHY, DSI-2, UniPro and in particular D-PHY.
Read more about the Membership Awards recipients »
In addition, two individuals were honored in memoriam during the ceremony:
- Dr. Thomas Marik, co-founder and former CTO of BitifEye Digital Test Solutions GmbH, was a key developer of MIPI testing methodologies and resources, as well as a significant contributor to the evolution and progression of MIPI’s physical layer specifications.
- Paul Vishny, MIPI Alliance’s legal counsel from 2003 to 2016, played an instrumental role in helping to establish and structure the organization for enduring success. For his efforts, Vishny was awarded the MIPI Lifetime Achievement Award in 2016.